William Newdigate was the chief driving force behind the building of a church at Plettenberg Bay. Bishop Gray met him on his first visit in 1848. Newdigate financed the first wooden church but it became too small and dilapidated. Sophy Gray provided a plan and the church was built between 1878 and 1881.
The Anglican Church has a long history in Plettenberg Bay, beginning in 1851 with the construction of the little yellowwood St Andrew’s Church (a National Monument) on the Newdigate farm in Piesang Valley. St Peter’s Church in Plett Central is the ‘mother’ church for the Parish. Situated in a beautifully maintained garden, this impressive stone church dates back to 1879 and today is an extremely popular venue for weddings. A temporary church was built in The Crags in 1881 and subsequently replaced by the existing St Michael’s Church, which was consecrated in 1905.